Dinner for Friends Funds a Life of Possibilities in Canada

Since birth, two-year-old Filmon knew only the squalor of a UN refugee camp in Sudan until he arrived in Canada on October 22, 2015

Published Nov 19, 2015 in press release
Scroll

Refugees arrive in Canada

Kingston, ON – Since birth, two-year-old Filmon knew only the squalor of a UN refugee camp in Sudan until he arrived in Canada on October 22, 2015 beaming alongside his parents. That day marked the start of a life filled with hope and possibilities thanks to the efforts of 125 members of the Westside Fellowship Christian Reformed Church and other generous donors. The congregation, including Gail and Ryan Power, have committed to provide 60% of the financial assistance to cover items such as food, clothing and basic accommodation, while the government pays the remaining 40%.

Dinner for Friends on December 5, 2015 is a key fundraiser to assist the young family through the church’s Friends of Refugees fund. This festive evening will feature a full buffet dinner, dessert, live entertainment (Jared McMillan on guitar) and a chance to get Christmas shopping done early. There are numerous live and silent auctions items including sports equipment, jewellery, restaurant gift certificates, gift baskets and more.

Gail Power and Kim Donaldson from Sutton Group - Masters Realty Inc. are organizing Dinner for Friends and promise it will be a memorable evening. Please visit the website www.dinnerforfriends.ca for details, the latest list of auction items and to order tickets.

Ride for Refuge Gail and husband Ryan Power have assisted in many fundraisers for this cause including a garage sale, a golf tournament, a movie night and a recent bike-a-thon. “Ryan and I organized a group of people to participate in the Ride For Refuge. A total of 24 people rode their bikes for 25 kilometres on a windy cool October 3rd morning. Our team of nine riders raised $3,410. From our Sutton office, Kim Donaldson braved the weather on bicycle and we welcomed walkers Michelle Cifala and Ken and Lorraine Rolston (Broker/Owners).”

Pictured top: Goitom, 41, his wife, Abrahet, who are originally from Eritrean and their son, Filmon. Pictured right: at the Ride for Refuge, the Sutton Group Masters Team including Gail Power, Ryan Power, friends and colleagues.

Sutton is a 100% Canadian-owned and operated company with more than 9,000 REALTORS® in over 200 offices nationwide. To find out more about Sutton, visit www.sutton.com. To learn more about Sutton Spirit, visit www.suttonspirit.com.

Sutton Group Realty Services Ltd. Contact:

Melissa Mungall - 604-691-1655

SSutton Group - Masters Realty Inc. Contact: An independently owned and operated brokerage.

Gail Power - 613-449-3110 - gpower@kingston.net

Please click here to download the press release

Olympic Dreams Sponsored by Sutton Office

As an official sponsor of Special Olympics Ontario, Sutton Group – Quantum Realty Inc. is pleased to help young people achieve their goals.

Published Nov 12, 2015 in press release